Friday, April 22, 2005

good night, good night...

as a single mom of two teenage girls i find myself often wanting to be way too overprotective. can a parent be too over-protective?? in any case, i often talk to my friends about "how we were at that age" and that is usually enough to want me to lock them in the basement and throw away the key until they turn 18.. make that 30. reality sets in and i usually find myself just asking them the "concerned" parent questions hoping to balance the fine line of cool concerned parent and over-protective crazy parent.

so over the past week skye has asked me several times if she could go hang out with her friends at the park after school. because it falls on a friday, it would mean that i pick her up, drive her to piano lessons, then pick her up from there and drop her off at her friend's house so that they can walk to the park together. i hummed and hawed about this for days... logistically, for me, it doesn't make sense because since we moved, her school and her friends houses are not as close to our house as i'd like it to be...

so today, skye begged the question again... "mom, can i go to the park with my friends??" ...

me: who are you meeting there??
skye: some friends from school??
me: what time are you going to be home? how are you getting home?
skye: i'll be home by dinner and i'll take the bus.
me: the bus?? who are you going to take the bus with??
skye: hmmmpf.. mom, i can take it myself.
me: um.. ok.. be home by 5 for sure, not a minute later.
skye: 5:30!??
me: 5.
skye: ok 5. i'll be home by 5
me: so who exactly are you meeting??
skye: san, john, kyle, marcel, miguel
me: what?? you and 5 boys?? skye.... is catherine or JQ going too?? how bout wong??
skye: no, they can't go.
me: skye.. i'm not sure i'm comfortable with you meeting 5 boys...
skye: mom!!?? what exactly do you think i'm going to do to them???

....

so... to that, i had no response. i told her again to be home at 5 and dropped her off. what was i thinking???

pb

No comments: